Monday, October 19, 2009

My whole world is crashing down.


Help please. Someone...anyone. I have two, two year olds who now know how to climb out of their cribs. I have put them back 10 times already today. I have tried laying by them, but to no avail. They NEED naps. I NEED quiet. I know some of you are thinking...gosh my kids climbed out of their crib way before that, or my kid stop taking naps at one...I am sure to you it is no biggy, but to me it is everything. My last grip at sanity is getting very slippery. Please don't let this be happening to me.

12 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

I remember well sitting in a chair reading until Ethan and Jonah fell asleep in their toddler beds. It took 30 minutes until they finally dozed off. I would say if you get out, I'm gonna take your blanket away, etc. I know how you feel!

gilliay said...

maybe you should build a net "lid" to go over the top of their cribs. Just make sure to poke a lot of holes in it so they can breath.

No seriously, nap time is my lifesaver. What do they do if you put them in separate rooms? warm milk before nap time? a book or two in each crib for winding down time before they actually fall asleep? And I agree with Panda, some kind of consequence for not staying in bed might help.

I feel for ya Lissa! Good luck

Beth said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Lis- that is so awful. I am so glad Jayston has not figured out his crib yet. I LIVE FOR NAPTIME!

Heather said...

I'm so sorry Melissa. We had to lock Parker in his room. I don't know if it will work with twins. If you need a break I would be more than happy to watch them for you. Seriously, call me if you need some help! I owe you.

Jami said...

Oh no! That is the worst. We had that same problem a month or so ago and there were no naps for a couple of days, but I figured out something that worked for us. First of all, I have to lock the door so they can't get out. (I just stuff a washcloth in when I shut the door and it makes it too hard for them to open). Secondly though, I have to put one of them in Trenton's room (which means I've had to baby proof that room), but when the girls don't have each other to play with and can't get out, they end up taking a nap 9 days out of ten still. Often they'll just fall asleep in the middle of the floor or something. I don't know if that will work for me, but I had those same feelings. There's just no way I'm ready for the girls to be done with naps. For some reason they are fine in the same room at night (as long as the door is locked). Don't think I'm a horrible mother for "locking" my kids in their room. :)

Jami said...

I meant to say "I don't know if that will work for you." :)

Aaron and Bonnie said...

Wow, I thought I was going to open up to you guys moving like tomorrow....this could be worse! I don't know what to tell you. I'm one of those that it is no big deal when my babies quit taking naps. I actually discourage them from naps most of the time. They go to sleep better for me. Good Luck!!

Aubrey said...

Just short of putting cages over their beds (was any of that grammatically correct?), put a lock on their door--we like the hook and eye ones that we put on ours, but then, our doors and mouldings are crappy, not nice and new like yours. But then, that's why they invented wood filler. They're very easy to install, just screw them in. Even better, do their doorknobs lock so you can reverse them?

Or there's always Benadryl if you're desperate. Injected with a tranquilizer gun. The kind they use for big game in the jungle.

KT said...

haha I was reading the comments to see what others have to say. Looks like lock on the door wins!
Prob is harder that they have each other to play with though

Michelle McKinley said...

Melissa, I remember those days well! Although I never had to deal with twins, which has got to be 10 times worse!!! I really feel for you. We used the lock on the outside of the door when they wouldn't stay in their rooms for nap/bed time. Can you separate them so that they are alone as well? Good luck!!!

Tanya said...

Come on Melissa, haven't you heard Jake's dramatic childhood memory enough to know my advice? I'll mail you some rope.

megan&steve said...

Two words... Crib Tent.
I got one for Jake when he turned 18 months old. He thought it was cool, and I thought it looked like a cage.

He stayed inside for almost a year. When the kids don't nap, mom isn't happy- I know how that goes.