Monday, October 15, 2007

To be a Mother...

I really need to stop this. I am staying up too late to check on people's blogs and write on my own...it is like an escape from my prison cell for a few minutes a day. OK, prison cell is a bit much, but I am sitting here staring at a kitchen that is a disaster and instead of cleaning it up I continue blogging. I am nuts. BUT...I was inspired by Elder Eyring's talk(which I watched twice...I love DVR) and I am trying to remember to record evidence of God's hand in my life so I can feel closer to Him. Today was a hard day, and I was very overwhelmed. Then Jordan came home very overwhelmed and after a quick dinner and family night he had to head back to work to meet some deadlines. I decided to leave my mess, load my kids in the car and just go...somewhere...anywhere. So we went to Khols. We walked around for almost two hours while the babies slept and the kids coveted toy after toy. It was the longest stretch the babies have slept today and I know that was a blessing. After, we got ice cream and drove to Dad's work to eat it with him. By the time we got home it was an hour past the kids bedtime, both babies were screaming and no, Jordan was not with me. As I was bringing everyone in I dropped my purse and the contents spilled all over the kitchen floor. It was just one of those things that is not a big deal at all except when it happens at just that moment. I left it and jumped right in to feeding babies and putting kids to bed. After the babies were finally fed and in bed, and the older kids were brushing teeth I decided to go deal with the purse. I got to the kitchen to find my purse contents put neatly back into my purse and it was zipped shut and put on the counter. I almost started to cry. When I asked the kids who had done this for me, Corbin answered, "I did Mom." What a blessing to have been entrusted with such a boy. What a blessing each of our children are. What an honor it is to be a mother. Even with all the chaos, I am so happy for the opportunity God has given me to be a mother. I love it!

9 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh, that is so sweet! Your kids are so cute!

Mrs Abbott said...

I loved Elder Eyring's talk also! I often joke that he is my favorite apostle, along with Elder Bednar when he came along. I have been writing in a gratitude journal every night, almost every night, and after his talk, I have turned it into a Heavenly Father's blessing journal. I totally forgot to write in it yesterday though! I'll have to go write in it for something that happened yesterday! That would be a fun blog to do- Heavenly Father's Blessing Blog. Although you can only write in it towards the end of the day, and I like to do mine in the morning.

Amy said...

Gloria! I LOVE that story. What a cute boy he is! :-) And I love that you're blogging. It is good for us to all keep up on one another's lives. Loves.

Kecia said...

I almost started to cry reading it! What a precious moment and a kind service.

Sorry we keep you up late, but I'm glad that you find a little stress relief too.

Mrs. Egg said...

oh, you brought tears to my eyes. what a good little boy. good job raising a sweet boy. i like the idea of doing a heavenly father's blessing and how he touches our lives in little ways that we forget. thanks melissa for being so far away and being so close too.

Sarah said...

That made me cry, what a sweet boy. I love when my kids do stuff like that, so sweet. I am glad that you are blogging it is nice to see I'm not the only one who has days or nights like that. BTW your not the only one who is late for church.

Michelle McKinley said...

Melissa, that totally made me cry as well. What a sweet story. Your children are darling!! I need to remember my blessings more instead of focusing on all of the stress and chaos in my life. Thank you for being such a great example to me. If you ever want to email me my address is: michellekmckinley@msn.com

The Favorite said...

Thank you so much for sharing that. It is those little moments that make things a lot better. Ice cream also helps!

Aubrey said...

9:43 PM is late? I prefer to stay up until the wee AM's. Yes, that's why I'm always grumpy.